Monday 28 November 2011

Melissa Turner Lee - blog post and review

Please welcome Melissa Turner Lee author of The earth painter, I am now going to hand you over to Melissa.






How I Started Writing

I've wanted to write or do something creative since I was a child. The idea of a desk job made me cringe inside. I tried singing and acting but I didn't like people looking at me. That doesn't go well with either of those. I majored in Journalism in college but never used it. Journalistic writing just wasn't what I was interested in doing.
Then there were the years I tried to find a normal job. Any job. I went through a list of those. My brother's family used Jobs Aunt Missy has Had as a category of charades while camping. Then I had my 3 little boys...one right after the other. I was in a sleep deprived stupor,buried in diapers and laundry when my sweet husband gave me the day off. I left my house not sure where to go or what to do. Then I remembered that I used to love to read. So I went to Barnes & Noble, bought a giant Starbucks and picked up a book called Twilight.


That day I remembered so many things while reading that book. I remembered what it was like to be 17 and notice the cute boy. I remembered falling in love with my husband (he was the cute boy), but most of all, I remembered me...the me who existed before kids. The girl who always wanted to write books. The one who couldn't hold down a job because of the characters in her head always telling her their stories.
So I went home and got on my floor and cried and prayed to God for help and the ability to write stories that made people remember and feel things. And then I got up and started writing and haven't stopped.
And now I have The Earth Painter out on Amazon, Barnes& Noble, Sony and Smashwords. It's my first Young Adult Supernatural Romance set in my old high school. There is reality mixed with fantasy about why that school is no longer standing. And it was inspired by a picture my husband drew in high school art class of me...before he met me, that disappeared when we got married. (This last part is 100% TRUE)
You can follow me on Twitter @ MelissaTLee1975 and on Facebook.
Read reviews on Amazon and Goodreads.
Melissa Turner Lee
Author of Young Adult Paranormal Romance
The Earth Painter
Available for Nook and Kindle

Thanks so much Melissa for your post 
I have read The earth painter find my review below 



About the book:
When a self-conscious young woman discovers the boy in drama class is actually the immortal who painted the world into being, she becomes the target of another painter who hates humanity. The Earth Painter is a Young Adult Supernatural Romance set in the small mill town of Chesnee, SC. It revolves around Holly Scruggs, who's family has just moved back to Chesnee after her dad lost his job along with pretty much everything they owned. Her image conscious parents correct her to the point of brokenness until she meets Theo. He is the artist responsible for all the beauty of the land and he thinks Holly is beautiful too. Together they will fight against Fritz, the water painter who hates humans and is hiding a secret under the high school.

4/5

This book is about the struggles of being a teenager, especially one who has had to move schools in her senior year. On arriving the first day at her new school Holly spends most of her time with her head stuck in a book that is until everything changes in drama class. Holly meets Theo and wonders why everyone else seems to overlook him. Once she has discovered his secret, that's when the adventure really starts, and she finds that she is subject to a human hating painter. 
I found this book a really enjoyable read, with the characters coming to life and writing that was really good. I loved Holly and the struggles she goes through, believing them and understanding that most teenagers go through the same thing. The whole story line was captivating, leaving the reader wanting to know what was going to happen next, and how Holly is going to manage to get out of another tight situation. I loved the interaction between Holly and Theo especially with the will they/ wont  they going on . I found Holly's mum to be really quite funny in an odd way and loved the way her character had been written. Overall i really enjoyed this book and feel that young adult readers would love to read this very different paranormal romance book. I for one will be looking out for the next book in the series to find out what else is going to happen once Holly goes to college. All credit goes to Melissa for a really enjoyable read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment